Shraddha Loves Books...

Reading is a dear hobby. Books are my best friends. They transport me to a world unlike mine. Here will I blog about the books I have read.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Papillon
by Henri Charriere

I am currently reading Papillon by Henri Charriere.

I had first heard of this book when my Physics Professor in the Higher secondary school mentioned it. So it was a book on my wish list from then.

I bought it last year but managed to start reading it only now.

I have finished around 300 pages and let me tell you friends, this book is really absorbing.
Its based on the true story of Henri Charriere popularly called Papillon.

Henri, a frenchman was wrongly sentenced to penal servitude for a crime he never committed but was cleverly and unfortunately convited of. Thus he was shipped to the inhumane prision in the island of French Guiana. He plans his escape and even is successful in evading the cruel guards and crosses the shark infested waters to much friendlier territory. From then on starts his adventures as he is again caught and further escapes and manages to secure two wives in a dangerous tribe the Goajira. The escape and get caught sinusoidal wave continues for quite sometime.

The book is gripping. Its heartening to see how Henri never loses his hope to escape and tries Bruce's Adage "Try Try Try Till you succeed".

He does eventually succeed and lives the life of a free man. But how that happens is wht the book is about.

I definitely recommend this book to every book lover here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home